Colin, Mandy, and Eliza

This site is for us to keep you informed of what we feel like sharing.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Ouch!

As I was holding Eliza in my lap at the computer desk her little bobble head bobbled its way against the desk. Bump! Ouch! Silence for a moment as she realized that she just hit her head and that it really hurt and then the flood works! And I am not talking about just Eliza, mommy cried too. Seeing her get an ouchy and be in pain hurt me too. And as I cried while comforting my crying baby I realized in that moment that I have become a mother.

While comforting my baby I flashed forward to all the times in her life that she is going to be in pain. Learning how to crawl and bumping her head many times, learning how to walk and falling, someone teasing her at school, being left out, not getting the part in the school play, getting sick and the list will continue. My heart hurt thinking about my baby ever having to feel pain. Can't I just protect her from all the pain in the world? Of course I can't (well I couldn't even if I wanted to) because if I did she would not be able to grow into the person she is meant to become and she won't find her inner strength. But I will always cry with her, hold her tight and tell her that I love her and its all going to be okay because it will. And I know that it will all be okay because the Savior lives and loves us. He has felt all of our pain for us so that we can be okay, so that we can have happiness. As a mother my understanding of the atonement has just increased today.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

It's sad when babies cry from being hurt! Whenever I catch myself wishing my kids were in school I remember that when they're in school I won't be there to comfort them when they're hurt or sad, etc. It'll be hard to not know what they're doing and going through every second of the day like I do now. Of course our babies have awhile to go. :)

2:18 PM  
Blogger renee' said...

Well said and welcome to motherhood. It's full of emotions!

10:19 PM  
Anonymous kacy said...

I just cried reading this. You are an amazing mother and eliza is lucky to have a mom like you in her life. With you there to guide her, she will be strong enough to go through all of lifes challenges! I love you!

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home